Occupy Central with Love and Peace: Manifesto
This campaign originates from our love and concern for Hong Kong. We believe that a truly harmonious society can only be built upon a just political system. The campaign aims to strive for the election of the Chief Executive by universal and equal suffrage in 2017. Civic awakening determines the success of the movement. Therefore, dialogue, deliberation, authorization by citizens and civil disobedience are all conducive to the reflection and participation of the whole society. We shall be like preachers communicating enthusiastically with different communities to convey the universal values such as democracy, universal and equal suffrage, justice and righteousness. We hope that in realizing these values in the system and society of Hog Kong they are willing to pay a price.
In light of this, the campaign is organized by those who uphold the same conviction and they will strive for realizing this ideal by shouldering the responsibilities collectively. To join the campaign or not is purely a personal decision which should not be directed by any organizations or political parties. The success of the campaign relies on the initiatives of individuals in different communities.
Whoever participating in the campaign should uphold its three fundamental convictions as follows:
(1) The electoral system of Hong Kong must satisfy the international standards in relation to universal suffrage. They consist of the political rights to equal number of vote, equal weight for each vote and no unreasonable restrictions on the right to stand for election.
(2) The concrete proposal of the electoral system of Hong Kong should be decided by means of a democratic process, which should consist of deliberation and authorization by citizens.
(3) Any act of the civil disobedience, which aims to fight for realizing a democratic universal and equal suffrage in Hong Kong though illegal, has to be absolutely non-violent.
The campaign consists of four basic steps: signing covenant, deliberation day, citizen authorization and civil disobedience.
The campaign will put forward the proposal on the election of the Chief Executive in 2017 after it is decided in the Deliberation Day and authorized by citizens. If the authorities concerned ignore the democratic demands of the citizens and suggest an election method, which violates the corresponding international standards, we shall at appropriate time carry out civil disobedience acts, including “Occupy Central”.
There are three ways for citizens to participate in the “occupy action”:
(1) To provide support to those who carry out the acts of civil disobedience without breaking any law themselves.
(2) To carry out the acts of civil disobedience without giving themselves up to the authorities.
(3) To carry out the acts of civil disobedience, give themselves up to the authorities and file no defense in the trial.
We expect there will be at least ten thousand people who follow their conscience and participate in different aspects of the campaign. Let love and peace occupy Central!